This Chocolate Banana Maca Smoothie is packed with protein and you will never even know that it has a full serving of greens in it! It is healthy and delicious, and perfect for those days that you are looking for a chocolate-taste treat!
There isn’t a better combination than cacao for that chocolate taste, nut butter for a protein blast and spinach for a dose of vitamins and minerals! Maca is one of my favourite smoothie boosters!
Why make this Chocolate Banana Maca Smoothie?
You get your veggies and the taste of chocolate all in one! Here is why I love this smoothie:
- Naturally sweetened! No added sugar, just the sweetness of the frozen banana.
- Veggie packed! What a great way to sneak some veggies into your day! This smoothie has spinach in (or even cauliflower of you want to). And the best part? You can’t even taste it!
- A protein and healthy fats boost! Nut butter and flax seeds are great sources of protein and healthy fats, which helps to make you feel fuller for longer.
What you need
Here is what you need for this smoothie:
- Frozen banana: frozen banana is the base of this smoothie. I always have bananas frozen, as I can make delicious smoothie bowls with it or even sorbet!
- Nut butter: you can use almond or cashew nut butter for this recipe. Always make sure that you use raw and unsalted nut butter.
- Organic raw cacao powder: organic raw cacao not only gives this smoothie its delicious chocolate taste, but also provides a powerhouse of nutrients. It is different from cocoa, as cacao is less processed than cocoa. Organic raw cacao is loaded with antioxidants and is a natural mood elevator!
- Flaxseed: flax is a great source of healthy fats and fiber, and it doesn’t impact the flavour of this smoothie.
- Organic maca powder: maca is a medicinal plant and considered a superfood! It can enhance your energy and mood!
- Spinach: You will not see or taste the spinach in this smoothie! Just make sure you blend it properly so that no green pieces of spinach is visible.
- Nut milk or coconut milk: You can use almond, cashew or pecan nut milk in this recipe. I have used coconut milk, but make sure you use the coconut milk that is not from a can, as it is often too creamy and thick.
The great thing about this smoothie, is that you can add in some other ingredients as well:
- Frozen cauliflower: frozen cauliflower is a great veggie to add. Best of all, you won’t even taste it!
- Vanilla extract: a drop of vanilla extract will enhance the flavour.
- Whey protein powder: you can add in whey protein powder for more grams of protein.
Chocolate Maca Banana Smoothie
- High-speed blender
- 2 cups frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon organic maca powder
- 3 tablespoons raw organic cacao powder
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon plant protein powder Hemp seed or flax seed
- 2 tablespoons nut butter cashew or almond
- 1 cup nut milk or coconut milk
- Place all the ingredients in a blender cup of a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high speed until smoot, making sure that there are no spinach pieces visible. You may want to add more milk if you prever a thinner smoothie.